image

People walk past television screens displaying a news program, about an Islamic State video showing Japanese captive Kenji Goto, on a street in Tokyo (Reuters / Yuya Shino)

Islamic State (IS) militants have beheaded captive Japanese journalist Kenji Goto, claims a video purportedly released by the terrorist group on Saturday. It comes after Tokyo said that negotiations with IS had reached a “deadlock.”

The Japanese government said it is trying to authenticate the video, which shows a hooded man standing over another man – apparently Goto – with a knife held to his throat. It then shows footage of a body with a head placed on it.

Earlier on Saturday, Yasuhide Nakayama – the head of Tokyo’s emergency response team in the Jordanian capital of Amman – told journalists that there had been no progress in attempts to negotiate the release of Goto and Maaz al-Kassasbeh, a first lieutenant in the Jordanian Air Force.

In the clip, the man – who calls himself Jihadist John and speaks in English with a British accent – addresses the Japanese government, blaming Tokyo for the slaughter. He said that Japan started an “unwinnable war,” and threatened its government with more violence.

By RT News
Read more at RT News

Leave a Reply