An outbreak of Enterovirus D68 has swept the country, with 500 confirmed cases, mostly children, in 42 states plus the District of Columbia.
A Rhode Island child hospitalized with Enterovirus D68 has died of a bacterial infection, in what state public-health officials described on Wednesday as an unusual and dangerous combination.
The child, a 10-year-old girl who was not named, died last week as a result of astaphylococcus aureus sepsis alongside the respiratory virus, the Rhode Island Department of Health said in a statement, calling it a “very rare combination that can cause very severe illness in children and adults.”
An outbreak of Enterovirus D68 has swept the country, with 500 confirmed cases, mostly children, in 42 states plus the District of Columbia, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The Rhode Island girl was the fourth person infected with EV-D68 in the United States to die this year, according to the CDC, though the agency noted that the role the infection played in their deaths was “unclear.”
The girl had been hospitalized for less than 24 hours when she died, and doctors do not know how or when she acquired the bacterial infection, said Christina Batastini, a spokeswoman for the state health department.
Written by Scott Malone/Reuters
Read more at Charisma