(NaturalNews) The truth is, the most important action you can take to maintain oral health is to eat a healthy diet. Avoid all artificial additives (flavors, colors, preservatives), GMOs, pasteurized dairy, and refined sugars. Do not consume foods laden with herbicides and preservatives (especially the “dirty dozen”) or animal protein (meat or dairy) from factory raised animals or farm raised fish. The healthiest diet consists of whole unadulterated foods, 80% of which are raw, organic vegetables and fruits (and eat more vegetables than fruit).
It is possible, through a truly healthy diet and proper oral care, to whiten and re-mineralize your teeth, to re-build your enamel, and to heal your gums.
Commercial toothpaste is toxic. You can avoid most of these toxic ingredients by using a ridiculously expensive natural toothpaste, but many still contain sodium laureth sulfate or other questionable ingredients such as glycerin, which prevents re-mineralization.
Homemade Toothpaste Recipe
The basic recipe for homemade toothpaste is equal parts of coconut oil and baking soda. Make sure both are organic and your baking soda is aluminum free. From here, you can add other ingredients and adjust ratios if necessary.
Simple Homemade toothpaste recipe:
- Equal parts of coconut oil and baking soda
- Add essential oil to taste
- Add stevia (if desired) to taste
For 6 tablespoons of oil to 6 tablespoons of baking soda, add up to 15 drops of essential oil. Try peppermint, eucalyptus, cinnamon, clove, lemon, orange, rosemary, or discover others. Each essential oil provides more than taste; each adds its own benefit. Add drops of one, or experiment with combinations. But be sure to buy your essential oils from a reputable source and ensure you are getting the right genus species. Do your research.
- Peppermint – a powerful anti-oxidant
- Eucalyptus – antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory
- Cinnamon – antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant
- Clove – antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal and an amazing antioxidant, the highest antioxidant essential oil. It is approved by the Dental Association for use as a dental anesthetic. It’s great for killing Candida.
- Lemon – antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant
- Orange – antiseptic and antioxidant
- Rosemary – antifungal, antibacterial, antiviral
Written by: KALI SINCLAIR of NATURAL NEWS
[COUNTRY CHRISTIAN’S NOTE: I have been making this recipe for several months now. My husband loves and I don’t like it. I find the Baking Soda adds too much salt and too much grit for my mouth. So am very glad to learn of the options of adding the other items the article’s author mentions which will help reduce the grit and salt. I did try to reduce the Baking Soda to 1 teaspoon instead of 3 Tablespoons (I make a ratio of 3:3 oil and Baking Soda) and the grit was better but still too much salt. FYI you will need to go to the source to learn of the options I mentioned.]